July 4, 2010

How I Made Macarons My Bitch

I do not know why the internet is full of blogs and websites dedicated to the art of baking macarons.cookies for goodness sake. Yes, they are fancy little French cookies. Yes, they take some time and skill to master. But they are not the be-all and end-all of the baking world. They are just cookies, not something to be afraid of.


I decided to give these pretentious drops of French heaven a shot. I fully and thoroughly researched the technique of baking them and bought the proper ingredients. I even left the egg whites out for 24 hours, just like they said (ewwwww). I meringue-d my egg whites, I folded them in delicately, I actually followed the directions. I drew one-inch circles on parchment and piped the dough (mixture? batter?) correctly. They looked just like the pictures (mostly, I'm new at piping meringue. It is not the same as frosting). 




I put them in the oven. This is where things started to go wrong. I watched them very closely, just like I was told. I was delighted when I watched the little "feet" begin to form. Then I figured that since they were doing okay, I could step away from the oven for a minute or two.


A word of advice: never walk away from the oven when you are baking macarons!!


There is about a 5 second window between perfectly cooked and burnt to a crisp.


Luckily, I learned my lesson the first time around. I made another batch, and they turned out perfectly. I would just like to say that le macaron is not as hard as they would have you believe.








Macarons on FoodistaMacarons

2 comments:

  1. They look brilliant! I'm in awe of them, I always thought they were a super fussy big deal to get done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is amazing.I read from other blogs how difficult it was to make.These look really wonderful.I hope you could add this Foodista widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about Macarons, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete