August 9, 2011

The Baby Bump Cake That Almost Wasn't

My sister had her baby shower on the May long weekend, and I was in charge of providing the treats. I made chiffon cupcakes with cream cheese frosting, which were delicious. I also told Tynna I would make her a baby bump cake. I have never made one, and had no idea how. Trusty Google provided me with some tips and tricks. I whipped up a Hellman's chocolate cake (my new go-to recipe. Mr. Town used to make it for us all the time, with hot fudge frosting and it's amaaaaazing) and poured it into a Pyrex bowl and my trusty cake pan that I use to make boobs. How odd that this is something I now do regularly.

The cakes baked fine, but the one that was supposed to be the belly seemed kind of wonky. I stared at these lumps of cakes and for the life of me could not figure out how I was supposed to make this into a baby bump cake. Also, I was dreading having to work with fondant to decorate it. I hate fondant, it tastes like chewy garbage. (I'll spare you my fondant rant, maybe I'll tell you some other time). I called my mom and told her that I didn't think I could make the cake, that it was really stressing me out. She said not to worry about it, that there would be plenty of food and my cupcakes would be just fine.

I stressed and stressed all night. The last thing I wanted to do was upset a very pregnant woman and let her know that her dream baby bump cake was not going to happen. I had bad dreams all night. Seriously.

The next day I took the cakes out of the fridge, and it was like looking at them with brand new eyes. Ohhhhh, I get it.

It looked like this:




No comments:

Post a Comment